The Department of Statistics, since its foundation in 1989, has established “Practical Training” in its curriculum. It was the first department in the University that offered this service.
The “AUEB STUDENTS PRACTICAL TRAINING” program is implemented through the “Human Resources Development, Education and Lifelong Learning” and “Competitiveness, Entrepreneurship and Innovation” operational programs and is co-funded from the European Union (European Social Fund)and from national resources.
Alternatively, in case that there are no National Strategic Reference Framework (NSRF) funds available at a certain period, those interested can participate in the self-funded “AUEB STUDENTS PRACTICAL TRAINING 2016-2020” program. This program is funded entirely by the Company, which has to deposit the corresponding amount for the compensation and insurance in the case of a student's accident, to a bank account held by the Special Account for Research and Development, at the end of the term Internships.
Students can participate only once in the Practical Training program (either with NSRF funds, or with other resources).
The main scope of the Practical Training program is for students to obtain professional experience and for the participating organizations and companies, to understand the need to use Statistics in decision making. It refers to applying statistical methods in the private or public sector workplaces. This way, the students are able to utilize their academic knowledge and to practically apply them in the workplace.
Exposing students to real working conditions contributes to their better integration into the productive system, of both the Greek and the international markets. It is intended to create a two-way channel of transmitting information between the Statistics Department and the production, about its needs in statistics and the department’s capability to cover them, as well as the perspective statistics can offer.
Through this channel, the Department of Statistics draws significant information and is thus able to continuously adapting the Department's curriculum to the needs of the market.
The statistical science is by default an applied one. Its development came through practical problems and is essential for our students to witness the use of statistics in the workplace. It is also vital for business executives to observe how the use of statistics can assist them into more rational decision making. This way, the market is informed of the potential benefits from utilizing statistically trained scientists. It is characteristic that many students are hired by the interested companies after completion of the practical training period.
Terms and Conditions
The “Practical Training” program refers to students that have completed the 6th semester (3rd year). Students can apply only once. Applying for practical training in the e-secretariat takes place at the 4th year of studies or after. Conditions for participating in the program are that the student has obtained at least 80 ECTS’s, has successfully completed at least 8 compulsory courses and has participated in the relative informative meeting/ seminar organized by the Practical Training Office.
This meeting is devoted to all interested students and aims at informing them about the procedure and the scope of Practical Training. It also aims to draw attention into useful details during the interview. In this meeting the program’s coordinator, Professor D.Karlis, informs the student about the academic part and the Practical Training office manager, Ms A.Panagiotidou informs them about the administrative part.
Depending on the subject and its duration, Practical Training can yield from 6 to 14 ECTS, provided that the student, after completing the Practical Training, devises the written report, in consultation with his/ hers supervising Professor. The report is filed at the Central Office for the Practical Training, up to 3 months after the ending of the contract.
Alternatively, students can participate in the Practical Training program without a written report. In this case, the Practical Training does not yield grade or ECTS’s and is only presented in the student’s diploma.
Students can apply 3 times a year (Winter Semester, Spring Semester and during the summer) in specific dates announced by the Central Office for the Practical Training.
To start the Practical Training each student must obtain an agreement from a professor that will supervise him/ her, as well as approval from the Practical Training coordinator. Then, he/ she has to fill the forms available at the Statistics Department website and the Central Office for the Practical Training website.
The student that participates in the Practical Training practices the role that the market expects from a Statistical Scientist: the role of an expert Statistician, which can deal with specific problems in different areas of the working environment. It is an exercise in collecting and methodologically analyzing data related to specific problems of specific areas of the labor market, in drawing conclusions, in forecasting and decision making in order to solve specific problems. Supervising the student from the designated faculty member is about designing the respective sampling research and the methodological dealing with the problem, as well as the relative inference and proposals for decision making and specific actions.
The student’s academic performance is important in the final selection for his participating in the Practical Training, because it is indicative of how well trained he is. Naturally, the student’s special interests are essential in him/ her being chosen to participate in the program. The organization in which the student will carry the training is chosen after discussing with the student, so that the Practical Training will be relevant to his/ her interests.
Grading the Practical Training is decided from the Departments coordinator, after the supervisor’s proposal. The student submits an essay in which he/ she describes in detail the problem and the implemented methodology to analyze the corresponding data. A copy of the essay is kept at the Educational Laboratory of Applied Statistics, Probability and Data Analysis of the Department.
it should be noted that, in the case that the funding comes from NSRF funds, a Bilateral Committee consisting of the Project's Scientific Coordinator and a faculty member designated by the Convention of the Department is set. The committee evaluates the applications and validates the final results in order to ensure the transparency and equal treatment of applicant students.
Each student who is interested in participating to the “Practical Training” Program, must:
- Fill in the electronic application at the Practical Training website.
- Choose an available position for Practical Training, in cooperation with the central office manager (Ms A.Panagiotidou) and the Scientific Supervisor.
- Submit the Statement of the Student’s Personal Data to the Central Office for Practical Training (Ms A.Panagiotidou). The form is available here, under the ΔΗΛΩΣΕΙΣ menu.
- Statement of the Beginning of the Practical Training. It is filedin at the Central Office for Practical Training (Ms A.Panagiotidou) before the beginning of the training or shortly after.
- Statement of Practical Training takes place at e-Grammateia during the course enrollment period.
- Before beginning Practical Training, the students must submitto the Central Office for Practical Training (Ms A.Panagiotidou) the Certificate of the Employment Agency received by the organization.
- A contract (Private agreement - three original copies) is signed for the implementation of the Practical Training (received by the employment agency), and is submitted to the Central Office of Practical Training (Ms. Angeliki Panagiotidou).
- Completion Report from the Agency’s Supervisor, submitted to the Central Office of Practical Training (Ms. Angeliki Panagiotidou) after the ending of the Training.
- Completion Report from the Department’s assigned Supervisor, submitted to the Central Office of Practical Training (Ms. Angeliki Panagiotidou) after the ending of the Training.
- Report and Grading (of the Statistics Department Coordinator) submitted to the Department’s secretariat after the ending of the Training.
- The student writes the aforementioned report – essay about the Practical Training and submits it in printed and electronic format (two cd’s) to the Central Office of Practical Training (Ms. Angeliki Panagiotidou).
- Statement for the beginning of the Training
- Completion Report from the Agency’s Supervisor
- Completion Report from the Department’s assigned Supervisor
- Report and Grading of the Statistics Department Coordinator
- Student’s Personal Data Statement
- Certificate of the Employment Agency
- Private Contract with the company/ organization
- Questionnaire for the employment agencies
- Questionnaire for the students
- Certificate of Completion of the Practical Training (from the agency)
Communication – Information: Aggeliki Panagiotidou, M.Sc.
Central Office for Practical Training
Athens University of Economics and Business
13 Elpidos str., 104 34, (3rd floor), Tel.: 210 8203 825
The Central Office for Practical Training is open for students from Monday to Friday, 11:00 – 15:00