Department of Statistics Activities
About the department
The Athens University of Economics and Business (AUEB) was founded in 1920 under the name of Athens School of Commercial Studies. It is the third oldest University in the country and the oldest one in the fields of Economics and Business. The scientific fields of Informatics and Statistics were added a few years later. It was renamed in 1926 to the Athens School of Economics and Business. In 1984, the University was divided into three departments, the department of Economics, the department of Business Administration and the Statistics and Informatics department. In 1978 the University the the first Master's program was founded in Greece at AUEB: the MSc in Economics. The MSc in Business Administration was launched a few year later, in 1985.
The Department of Statistics of the Athens University of Economics and Business was founded in 1989 and is historically the first, and still remains the only in Greece, which exclusively focuses in the field of Statistics. It has outstanding research performance and distinctions, while its graduates (both B.Sc., M.Sc. and PhD graduates) serve as a faculty or research members of some of the top Universities in UK, Europe and the US, as well as in some companies of high reputation (including companies in the field of Biostatistics, such as IQVIA, Astra Zeneca, etc).
Following the most recent trends in science and technology, the School of Information Sciences and Technology of the Athens University of Economics and Business, was founded recently. The school comprises by the department of Statistics and the department of Informatics. The School promotes the interaction and synergy between the two scientific fields in order to offer a dynamic research environment in the fields of contemporary Statistical Science, Data Science and in Data Analytics.
In addition to the undergraduate program and the research activity, the Department runs three postgraduate programs in: Statistics, Applied Statistics and Risk Management, and it actively participates in the interdepartmental postgraduate program of the M.Sc. in Data Science (jointly run with the Department of Informatics).
The Department of Statistics has 24 faculty members, of which at least 7 are active in the field of Biostatistics. The department also employs about 20 PhD candidates in three research labs and about 50 postgraduate students are conducting their thesis in several research topics such as Statistical methodology, Bayesian Statistics, Biostatistics, Sports Analytics and other topics.
The Departments Activities
The Department of Statistics has developed a multidimensional activity pioneering actions.
In the following, we briefly mention these activities:
- International Degrees and Collaborations
- Double M.Sc. in Statistics & Finance with the University of Pavia (Italy)
- Double M.Sc. in Statistics & Financial Analytics with Stevens Institute of Technology
- Joint PhD (1 position, 2022-2026) with University of Lausanne in Forensic Statistics
- European Masters in Official Statistics (EMOS) in collaboration with ΕΛΣΤΑΤ
- We are currently in discussions with the universities of KAUST (Saudi Arabia), Stirling (UK) and Naples (Italy) for establishing new double M.Sc. degrees.
- Participation in the HERMES University Network for cooperation in international Postgraduate Programs (joint, dual degrees) and joint PhD research programs.
- Scholarships and Reward Program (Performance awards for undergraduate students, Teaching awards for PhD Candidates and temporary teaching personnel, PhD Scholarship for the best M.Sc. Student of the Department).
- Internships in the M.Sc. programs with data science industry (IQVIA, ΕΛΒΑΛ, FSI, FSF-H, cube-rm)
- Theses in cooperation with companies and organizations (ΕΛΣΤΑΤ, ImedD, AstraZeneca, IQVIA, ΕΛΒΑΛ, FSI, FSF-H)
- Memoranda of cooperation
- Hellenic Statistical Authority (ΕΛΣΤΑΤ)
- Aginiteio Mental Hospital of the University of Athens
- EY & Alpha for postdoctoral research (under discussion)
- Collaboration with SAS and SAS Certificate for our M.Sc. students
- Collaboration with the University of Indiana (short courses, conference on July 2022)
- Seminars & Short Courses
- Research Seminars (every two weeks)
- Business Seminars (about once a month), presented by some of the Departments graduates.
- Short courses by distinguished international scientists (H. Massame, Stefan Kesenne, G. Streftaris, J. Kornak, Alan Agresti)
- Workshops and Conferences (4 conferences were organized during the 2020-21 academic year). Regular conferences:
- AUEB Sports Analytics Workshop (annual) https://aueb-analytics.wixsite.com/saw2022
- Risk Finance and Stochastics summer school (annual) https://tinyurl.com/AUEB-FinSummer
- Greek Stochastics conference (annual) http://www.stochastics.gr/
- Biostatistics conference https://aueb-analytics.wixsite.com/biostats-conf
- Statistics Meeting on Statistics (bi-annual) https://aueb-analytics.wixsite.com/statistics5 (co-organized with Italian Universities– Pavia, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Firenze)
- Examples of non-regular one-day conferences (Stochastic Models in earthquake studies, The mathematics of Pandemia)
- YouTube Channel.
- GRSTATS blog, and the corresponding facebook page, for information to the Statistical community (https://grstats.forumotion.net/)
Activities aimed specifically to first year students
- Corroborative actions for the freshmen students
- Department Presentation in the beginning of their studies
- Microsoft excel seminar (6 weeks x 2 hours)
- Statistics Seminar with lectures on the applications of Statistics in various scientific fields